Presented by the website

Return to Derby Pubs      Return to Derby Home Page


STRUTTS (now Royal Telegraph)

Name changed to Royal Telegraph



Location:  On the corner of Traffic Street and London Road, part facing towards the Derby Royal Infirmary.

Historical Information:  Originally quite a small pub. It was opened in the 1820s, and named after a stage coach that ran from London to Manchester. The 'Royal' was soon dropped from the name and it was known simply as the Telegraph for many years. A road widening scheme took place in 1936, and Pountain's the owners of the pub at the time expanded the premises. They bought out the neighbouring pub, the Prince of Wales, and two shops. The inn was then rebuilt with a long curving frontage, with an entrance at either end. It was reopened in March 1937. Further internal alterations were carried out in the 1980s by Mansfield Breweries and the pub was renamed St. Trinian's, but that name only lasted for three years. Again in 1986, the name was changed this time to Strutt's, a name which it still retains.

 Curiosities:  A sheep roast was held at the pub in 1856 to celebrate the peace treaty with Russia.


Return to Derby Pubs   Back to the top of the Page   Return to Derby Home Page is an independent, not for profit website.

No recommendation of any establishment is implied by inclusion on this website.




Select a pub and click to go to the page, or to return the Derby Pubs Home Page click here.   


Babington Arms

Old Bell

Brick and Tile

Bridge Inn

Brunswick Inn

Cattle Market Hotel(Smithfield)

Crown and Cushion


Exeter Arms

Flower Pot

Friary Hotel

George Inn (Jorrocks)


Midland Hotel

Noah's Ark

Royal Standard

Seven Stars



Old Silk Mill

Old Spa Inn

The Standing Order

Tiger Inn

Wardwick Tavern




1.  To return to the main site click the link below.

Return to the Home Page

2.  To return to the contents page of the main website click the link below.

Return to the Contents Page