A village of great antiquity at the confluence of Peakshole Water and the River Noe in the Hope Valley, it was a centre of pre-historic trackways and later Roman Roads. The Romans most important fort in the Peak District was established at Navio, only one mile away from Hope.
In 1086, at the time of the Domesday Survey, Hope covered two thirds of the Royal Forest of the High Peak and was one of the largest parishes in the country. Hope was one of the earliest centres of Christianity in the area and the church was the only one mentioned in North Derbyshire in the survey. People from a wide area around the village came to be married at the church for many years after the Norman Conquest.
On the northern side of the village, Win Hill and Lose Hill are very prominent features and there is a ancient legend about how they acquired their names from a battle in 626. Rivals King Edwin of Northumbria was camped on Win Hill and King Cuicholm of Wessex on Lose Hill. The army from Wessex was much the larger, so Edwin ordered his men to build a stone wall around the summit of the hill. When the battle commenced both sets of troops advanced, but the superior numbers soon started to push Edwin’s forces back. Once the order to retreat came, the Wessex troops sensing victory, charged forward, only to be crushed to death by a hail of boulders heaved down the hill by Edwin’s men to win the battle.
A place of worship has stood on the site of The Parish Church of St Peter for over 1000 years; the present church having been in existence for in excess of 700 years. Light and airy inside, the church has much to interest the visitor. A very rare ‘Breeches Bible’, open in a glass case on the wall, displays the reference to Adam and Eve wearing ‘breeches’ rather than ‘aprons’.
Outside the church there are numerous fascinating Gargoyles round the roof, ‘hideous’ to some! A very worn, but recognisable carving of a Celtic Face is on the north wall of the Church tower. Close by, is the Eccles Cross that previously stood on Eccles Hill to mark a place of worship. On the southern side of the church, standing on either side of the path are a Saxon Cross and an old Market Cross.
Hope Sheep Dog Trials and Agricultural Society celebrated its 50th anniversary in 1999, but Agricultural Shows go back to 1853. In 1944, the Hope Sheep Dog Club was formed with the sole aim of providing support for the Red Cross in the Second World War. After operating independently for five years, it merged with the Agricultural Society and the first joint show took place. The show is extremely popular and takes place on August Bank Holiday Monday every year.
Hope Hall, now the Old Hall Hotel, was the home of the Balguy family. In 1715, after John Balguy had obtained a charter for a weekly market, a cattle and sheep market were held in the grounds of the hall. The market eventually closing down because of the recent Foot and Mouth epidemic, with the land being made available for housing development.
All that remains of Hope Castle pre-dates Peveril Castle at Castleton by about 100 years. All that remains, however, of Hope Castle is an earthen mound that can be seen from Pindale Road. By the bridge is a well-preserved Pinfold where stray animals were once kept. Further along the road, are the Cement Works, the area’s major employer.
On the southern side of the church, the old school is now utilised for pre-school activities. Adjacent is Loxley Hall, built in 1900, from a bequest - when instructions were left that a reading room should be provided with copies of current papers and periodicals and a fire lit as required for the benefit of the villagers. In between the hall and shop premises is Daggers House, a former public house.
The village is well served with shops to suit the needs of local people and visitors alike. The Courtyard is home to a small number of craft shops and a pleasant modern café, where you can buy your true love a heart shaped scone with jam and cream! The Hope Gallery carries a wide range of quality goods and displays some of the work of the proprietor, Alan Glasby, a former Colonel in the Bomb Disposal Unit.
On the western, side of the village the Education Service for the Peak National Park is based at Losehill Hall, and Hope Valley College, built in 1958 is on the Castleton Road. The Railway Station, for the popular Hope Valley Line, is on the other side of the village.
The Well Dressings take place in July each year, when everyone is encouraged to take part in the preparations for the event, visitors included.
www.derbyshire-peakdistrict.co.uk is an independent, not for profit website.
No recommendation of any establishment is implied by inclusion on this website.
PLACES OF SPECIAL INTEREST IN THE AREA
Ladybower and the Derwent Valley is a very popular area for visitors. The dams in the valley were used by Dr Barnes Wallis and his team to test his bouncing bombs, and the film ‘The Dambusters’ was partly shot here.
Castleton Caverns without doubt the most spectacular collection of caverns in the country. Speedwell (tel 01433 620512), Blue John (tel 01433 620638), Treak (tel 01433 620571) and Peak (tel 01433 620285).
Edale where the Nag’s Head Inn is the traditional starting point of the 270 mile Pennine Way Trail, as it winds its way north to the Scottish border at Kirk Yetholm. The Peak District National Park’s Field Head Visitor Centre is also here.
Woodroffe Arms Hotel (Tel 01433 620351) named after an influential local family, this ancient pub provides a wide range of traditional food served at lunchtimes and in the evenings throughout the year. Some outside seating and a play area for children. Accommodation available.
Woodbine Café (Tel 01433 621407) this delightful little café was once a pub named the Blacksmiths Arms and the building dates back to the 17th century. Hot and cold food mostly cooked on the premises is served. Open daily.
THE DISCOVER DERBYSHIRE AND THE PEAK DISTRICT GUIDE
Provides a wide range of features with heritage trails and detailed countryside walks, through some of the most scenically attractive countryside in the UK.
1. To return to the main site click the link below.
2. To return to the contents page of the main website click the link below.
A special new sub-section has been added to this website, based on the Discover Derby Supplement, published by the Derby Evening Telegraph during March 2005. The most recent additions are:
Click below for details.
Apart from a steady climb up to Losehill Farm, this walk is relatively easy and manages to pack in plenty of variety as well as magnificent scenery.
The path descends gently from Losehill Farm with glorious views over the Hope Valley to Losehill Hall, the training centre for the Peak District National Park. Set in 27 acres of parkland, gardens and woodland the Victorian Hall is of considerable architectural interest.
Continue through a series of fields before following a farm track, passing an outdoor activity centre on the way, to join Hollowford Road that leads to Castleton. Apart from the magnificent scenery, Castleton is famous for its four show caverns of which only Peak Cavern is a true cave.
Castleton is soon left behind and Peakshole Water, named after its source at Peak Cavern, is followed for a short distance. After crossing a railway line used by the Cement Works, it is not long before Pindale Road is reached. Look out for the well-preserved Pinfold by the bridge over Peakshole Water as you return to Hope.
All details on this page were correct at the time of publication, but changes may be made without notification.