Stanton in Peak is an attractive mainly gritstone built village, with fine views over the River Wye towards north Derbyshire. Its main street winds its way steeply up the side of Stanton Moor, from where most of the stone used in construction of the village originated from. Stanton Moor, rising 1096 feet above sea level, overlooks the village. The Moor is an isolated gritstone outcrop in the heart of limestone country and one of the richest prehistoric sites in Derbyshire.
The village is very ancient, having been granted a Royal Charter in 968. Many of its houses date from the 17th and 18th centuries. The houses built in the early part of the 19th century, which carry the initials ‘WPT’, were built by William Pole Thornhill. The Thornhill family also built the tower on the eastern edge of Stanton Moor that bears the inscription ‘Earl Grey 1832’. This commemorates of Earl Grey’s Reform Bill, which led eventually to every Englishman having the right to vote.
Stanton Hall hides behind a high wall along the village street, but to the west it commands magnificent views. The hall dates from the late 16th century and was extensively re-built in 1693, and extended further a century later by Bache Thornhill, although today it is reduced in size. It was the home of the Thornhill family for many generations, who were responsible for the majority of buildings in the village.
The Parish Church of Holy Trinity was originally built by the Thornhill family in 1839, as a private church for their own use, but later that century became the parish church. It has a tall spire and unusually the nave lies from south to north. Inside there is a bronze Italian water stoup from the workshop of Bellini. At the top of the village is the Methodist Chapel of 1829, recently closed.
One of the earliest and the most unusual houses in the village is the three-storey Holly House, which stands facing the main street with eight of its fourteen windows remaining blocked to this day. Originally the windows would have been blocked to avoid the dreaded window tax of 1697. Opposite is the village pub with the strange sounding name of Flying Childers. It was named after a famous 18th century racehorse owned by the fourth Duke of Devonshire and trained by Sir Hugh Childers.
The reading room, now the village hall, was built by the Thornhill’s, as was the ‘The Stand’. Originally known as ‘The Belvedere’, it is a viewing platform with a stone seat, from where you get a magnificent panoramic view over the beautiful Wye Valley. On the southern edge of the village, the local cricket ground on its sloping site must have one of the prettiest views for any cricket pitch in the country.
Stanton Moor, nearly 1100 feet above sea level and overlooking the village, offers genuine moorland terrain. Although it is relatively small in size, it has a feeling of isolation despite its close proximity to Stanton in Peak in the north and Birchover in the south. On the edge of the moor there are superb views of the surrounding countryside and on the bracken clad moor several impressive boulders and reminders of the past.
Last century, the Heathcote family, father and son excavated in excess of 70 burial mounds on the moor. Both were noted amateur antiquarians and between them they excavated the tumuli on Stanton Moor and built up a fascinating private museum in the old village post office at Birchover. When Percy Heathcote died, the collection was transferred to Sheffield West Park Museum.
The most famous of the Bronze Age relics on the moor are The Nine Ladies Stone Circle. Legend has it that the nine ladies danced here on the Sabbath Day and were turned to stone as a punishment, along with the fiddler who stands nearby.
Stone quarrying has been an important industry in the area over a long period and provided employment for many Stanton people. Towards the end of the 19th century, out of a population of 717, 103 were quarry workers. The whole subject of quarrying in such a beautiful area is now a very contentious subject.
The attractive village post-office and general store is passed on the footpath to Congreave. This is where rabbits used to be kept for the Haddon Hall tables, the name Congreave meaning ‘rabbit hole’. There are two other small hamlets in the parish, Pilhough and Stanton Lees.
www.derbyshire-peakdistrict.co.uk is an independent, not for profit website.
No recommendation of any establishment is implied by inclusion on this website.
PLACES OF SPECIAL INTEREST IN THE LOCALITY
Caudwell’s Mill, (Tel. 01629 734374) powered by the River Wye is the only complete Victorian working roller flour mill in the United Kingdom. Open daily. In addition, there are a number of craft shops; also a well stocked gift shop, artist’s gallery and café.
Peak Village (Tel. 01629 735326) is the Peak District’s first and only factory outlet shopping centre, set in beautiful surroundings at Rowsley. Open every day.
Peak Rail (Tel. 01629 580381) is a preserved railway operating steam trips from Matlock Riverside Station to Rowsley South calling at Darley Dale. Telephone for full operating details.
Grouse and Claret (Tel. 01629 733233) formerly the Station Hotel, but due to the demise of the railway it was renamed. A grouse and claret is the name of a specialist dry fly used in trout fishing in the locality. Food is served at lunchtime and in the evenings. There is a Beer Garden and children’s play area. Accommodation is available.
Caudwell Mill Tea Rooms (Tel. 01629 733185) have an excellent reputation for food and serve both hot and cold meals. If it seems a little like sitting in church there is a reason. The seating and serving counter have both been salvaged from Crich Carr Chapel when it closed. Open daily.
THE DISCOVER DERBYSHIRE AND THE PEAK DISTRICT GUIDE
Provides a wide range of features on towns and villages with heritage trails and detailed countryside walks, through some of the most scenically attractive countryside in the UK.
The site is expanding to include many other features of interest to the local person and visitor alike. Why not bookmark this site for future reference.
1. To return to the main site click the link below.
2. To return to the contents page of the main website click the link below.
A special new sub-section has been added to this website, based on the Discover Derby Supplement, published by the Derby Evening Telegraph during March 2005. The most recent additions are:
Click below for details.
This is a lovely walk through beautiful limestone country that takes in some superb views. The walk climbs up steadily from Rowsley to reach the edge of Stanton Moor, before exploring Stanton and then returning through the fields.
Stanton Moor is famous for its Bronze Age relics, the best known are The Nine Ladies Stone Circle. Legend has it that the nine ladies danced here on the Sabbath Day and were turned to stone as a punishment, along with the fiddler who stands nearby.
On the edge of Stanton in the Peak, your route takes you past the local cricket ground that must have one of the prettiest views in the country, which you might want to take a short detour to visit.
All details on this page were correct at the time of publication, but changes may be made without notification.