Baslow is a busy little village, delightfully situated in the Derwent Valley, with Chatsworth Park to the south and Baslow Edge rising to the north. Nowadays, the Devonshire Bridge, built shortly after the First World War, carries most of the traffic across the river. But it is the Old Bridge, close to the church built in 1603, which attracts most interest from visitors with its impressive stone arches; it is the only bridge across the Derwent never to have been destroyed by floods.
It replaced a wooden bridge, that all able-bodied men in the village were required to watch on a rota basis, to ensure the weight restrictions were not broken. Anyone caught breaking the rules was fined. The tiny watchman’s hut still remains, no doubt reduced in size by the heightening of the road. At one time it offered a shelter of sorts to Mary Brady, a local beggar, who often slept rough inside.
St Anne’s is both a beautiful and unusual church - one clock tower has Roman numerals and is dated 1759 and the other has ‘Victoria 1897’ on its face to mark Queen Victoria’s Golden Jubilee. Inside the church by the door, in a glass case, is a dog whip, which in the 17th and 18th centuries was used by the official ‘dog whipper’ to keep stray dogs in order during the service. The whip has a thong three feet long, which is still in excellent condition and is bound round the handle with leather. Some historians also claim that it was used to maintain order among worshippers and to wake up those who snored during the service!
Following the improvement of the road network it became easier for wealthy people from Sheffield and other cities to visit the country for health or recreational reasons and for 50 years Baslow Hydro was the dominating feature in the village.
Although falling short of spa status, the Hydropathic Hotel was set in spacious grounds with a croquet lawn, tennis court and bowling green all surrounded by gardens set out like a miniature park. There were nearly 100 bedrooms and in the 1890s an annexe was added providing a further 20 or so bedrooms. Until the First World War it was a profitable enterprise, but then trade dwindled and it gradually fell into disrepair before closing in 1936 and being demolished. All that remain are two stone gateposts.
Sebastian de Ferranti who lived at Baslow Hall in the early 20th century was a ‘do it yourself man’ with a passion for electricity. He experimented with central heating and other electrical appliances in addition to fitting double-glazing. Sadly, his efforts at battery poultry farming had disastrous consequences for the chickens who were electrocuted.
In 1862 Lieutenant Colonel E M Wrench took over a medical practice in Baslow. He was a surgeon who had served in the army in both Crimea and India and was a great patriot. In 1866, he built Wellington’s Monument on Baslow Edge; the ten feet high cross can be seen over a wide area. In Chatsworth Park he carved an inscription on the face of what is now known as Jubilee Rock to commemorate Queen Victoria’s Golden Jubilee. The rock was previously known as the Elephant Stone. Queen Victoria would not have been amused! For her Diamond Jubilee, Lieutenant Colonel Wrench refaced Baslow’s church clock.
Standing in solitary confinement on Baslow Edge is a massive boulder known as the Eagle Stone. According to legend it took its name from the god, Aigle, who it appeared had a habit of throwing boulders around. In the past no local lad was considered fit to marry until he had shown his fitness and agility by climbing to the top of the stone.
The most popular part of the village is Nether End with its hotels and little shops set around Goose Green, where people can sit in comfort and relax. From here the parklands of Chatsworth are approached over a 17thcentury Packhorse Bridge and past a row of pretty thatched cottages.
Situated just off the A623 is the private northernmost entrance to the Chatsworth estate. Once it had golden gates but following an accident, when an out of control lorry demolished them, the gateway had to be rebuilt. The village is well served for restaurants, cafes and shops; across the road from the church are a group of shops housed in a handsome block of buildings.
Along the Bubnell road is a group of cottages that were used for weaving and at one time for making felt hats. Further to the west is the 17th century Bubnell Hall, of which Baslow Hall on the opposite side of the river is a copy.
www.derbyshire-peakdistrict.co.uk is an independent, not for profit website.
No recommendation of any establishment is implied by inclusion on this website.
PLACES OF SPECIAL INTEREST IN THE LOCALITY
Chatsworth House, Garden, Farmyard and Adventure Playground (Tel. 01246 582204) visitors are free to wander in the magnificent grounds The house stands in a deer park laid out by ‘Capability’ Brown in the 18th century, with hills and woods. Shop and restaurant facilities available. For full details of Chatsworth House, click here. The park is open all year.
Hassop Railway Station (Tel. 01629 813444) on the Monsal Trail, it was built much nearer to Bakewell than Hassop to serve the Duke of Devonshire and is particularly ornate. Now the railway is no more it has been converted into a very large bookshop.
The Derbyshire Craft Centre (Tel.01433 631231) has on display a large selection of local and national crafts, plus a wide range of gifts, books and other items. There is also a popular café. Open seven days a week.
The Rutland Arms (Tel. 01246 582276) stands alongside Baslow’s medieval bridge. There is a particularly attractive beer garden overlooking the river. Food is served lunchtime and evenings during the week and all day at the weekends.
Goose Green Tea Rooms (Tel. 01246 583000) look out over the green. Inside it is pleasantly furnished with green painted furniture, which harmonises with the rest of the décor. Hot and cold meals available seven days a week.
THE DISCOVER DERBYSHIRE AND THE PEAK DISTRICT GUIDE
Provides a wide range of features with heritage trails and detailed countryside walks, through some of the most scenically attractive countryside in the UK.
1. To return to the main site click the link below.
2. To return to the contents page of the main website click the link below.
A special new sub-section has been added to this website, based on the Discover Derby Supplement, published by the Derby Evening Telegraph during March 2005. The most recent additions are:
Click below for details.
On leaving Goose Green the walk leads towards Chatsworth Park, passing a row of attractive thatched cottages before going through the fields to the rear of The Cavendish Arms.
A long steep climb up the road through Curbar village brings you up to Curbar Gap. The effort is well rewarded by the splendid views to be obtained over miles of countryside as you walk along Baslow Edge.
All details on this page were correct at the time of publication, but changes may be made without notification.