On the right going up Iron Gate, a few
yards after passing Sadler Gate.
Historical Information: The George Inn was built around 1648 and was one of the
most famous and busiest coaching inns in Derby, during
that era. The London to Nottingham stage coach
ran from the George from 1735, and in 1766 the
post office coach also ran from the inn. It had
a wider facade at that time, and in 1693, included the part
now occupied by Foulds music shop. The
yard at the rear of the inn, was once
used for cock fighting and a balconied extension
was built so that patrons could watch that and
Sign: In recent years there have
been a number of name changes, the most recent 'Jorrocks'.
The current sign is much smaller than the one that once
stretched across the street on a timber gantry. In 1784,
a tragedy occurred when the sign fell down on a horse
and chaise that was passing at the time. Sadly the horse
took the full force of the fall with fatal consequences.
Curiosities: The pub is said to be
haunted by several ghosts including a long-haired man wearing a blue coat who
has been seen in the dead of night walking along the
landing and down the stairs into the bar area where he
disappears. There have been many strange
occurrences, crockery moves itself from the shelves in
the kitchen but does not break, a human groan has also often been heard.
A favourite calling place for ghost hunters!
to Derby Pubs Back to the top of the
Derby Home Page
is an independent, not for profit website.
recommendation of any establishment is implied by inclusion on this
Select a pub
and click to go to the page, or to return the Derby Pubs Home Page click
DISCOVER DERBYSHIRE AND THE PEAK
1. To return to
the main site click the link below.
Return to the Home
To return to the contents page of the main website click the link below.
Return to the Contents