The lovely village of Ashford-in-the-Water nestles on the banks of the River Wye as it slowly meanders its way south towards Bakewell. It lies on the route of the ancient Portway, one of the Peak District’s oldest trackways which has been used for many centuries.
The beautiful low arched medieval Sheepwash Bridge, overhung by willow trees, was built on the site of the ford across the river. In the 17th century it was crossed each week by hundreds of pack horses usually carrying malt from Derby. It has been widened at least twice and takes its name from the attached sheep pen. Sheep were driven into it before being thrown unceremoniously into the river to be washed prior to shearing. The bridge is no longer open to traffic and is a favourite spot where visitors can either feed the ducks, or gaze down into the clear waters to see if they can spot a rainbow trout.
Lead mining was carried out in the area, but the chief industry used to be marble polishing. Impure forms of limestone mined locally when polished, turned jet black; this was then cut and used for ornamental purposes. Henry Watson founded what were known as the Ashford black marble works in 1748, at a site now acquired by the Water Board, the business having finally closed in 1905. The marble was very popular in Victorian times and was exported all over the world. A table in the church is inlaid with pieces of Ashford Marble.
In the 19th century a stocking industry was set up in Ashford and by 1829 there were 80 frames being worked. The part of the village where the machines were located was called ‘Rattle’ because of the noise created! One of the stocking frame cottages still remains on Hill Cross.
Hanging in the aisle of Holy Trinity Church are four ‘virgin crants’, which were once carried at the funerals of unmarried girls. These are garlands made from white paper, cut to form rosettes, fixed to wooden frames, which were later hung above the pew where grieving relatives sat. On Trinity Sunday, Ashford celebrates the founding of the church. Following the service, there is a procession to bless the six wells that are dressed annually.
Out of all the charming houses in the village, the one with the finest location must be The Rookery. Lovely spacious lawns front this imposing residence with its origins in the 16th century and just to make the picture complete the River Wye flows through the grounds in a great majestic loop. In 1941 it became the first home of the present Duke and Duchess of Devonshire.
On the old bridge near Ashford’s attractive little cricket ground is an inscription carved simply in the stone ‘M HYDE 1664’. This relates to a tragic incident when a man was blown off his horse and drowned in the river. Originally, the road on which the bridge stands was built to give access to the Corn Mill from the village. There has been a corn mill at Ashford since at least 1086, when its existence was recorded in Domesday Book. The present day building, parts of which go back 400 years, is passed by leats from the Wye on either side of the building which used to have two water wheels.
Ashford, unlike most Peak villages is set in a beautiful valley setting, rather than in a hollow on a plateau, or on the side of a valley like Youlgreave. Its mainly 18th century cottages are built of smoothly textured limestone, light brown in colour, giving a warm and cosy feel to the village.
There have been times in the past when the village has lived up to its name, and as recently as October 1998 most of the village was flooded. Debris swept down the river as a result of heavy rain, became blocked at the Sheepwash Bridge and caused the Wye to overflow. A Royal Manor at the time of the Domesday Book, Ashford eventually passed by succession to the Devonshire family, before being sold off in the 1950s to pay death duties.
The Parish Pump and The Top Pump are at opposite ends of Fennel Street, the pumps have been removed and a shelter was erected over both wells in 1881. A medieval Tithe Barn stands close to Sheepwash Bridge, as does the Riverside Hotel and Restaurant, the Cottage Tearooms and a small craft shop. At the far end of Church Street are the Parish Rooms where the Post Office is now housed, close by is the Ashford Arms and across the road the Village Stores and the Bull’s Head.
www.derbyshire-peakdistrict.co.uk is an independent, not for profit website.
No recommendation of any establishment is implied by inclusion on this website.
Places of Special Interest in the Locality
Bakewell is set in an enviable location on the banks of the River Wye, in the heart of the Peak District. Visitors flock to Bakewell in the summer, to shop and explore its many nooks and cranies, to admire its fine buildings, or just relax and feed the ducks by the lovely, clear, sparkling waters of the River Wye. There is more space in the winter, but on a sunny day even, that is limited.
Chatsworth Estate Farm Shop (Tel. 01246 583392) situated at Pilsley one and a half miles from Chatsworth House, at what used to be the Stud Farm and later became a milking parlour. Then in 1977, the Duchess of Devonshire opened The Farm Shop in the former Tack Room, selling beef and lamb from the estate. As the shop has become more successful, it has expanded to include a whole range of products. Further expansion has taken place in 2004 and 2008. Open daily.
Old Market Hall, Bakewell (Tel. 01629 813227) is an impressive building that dates back to the 17th century and now accommodates the Tourist Information Centre. There are a number of interesting displays on show.
Monsal View Cafe(now known as Hobb's Cafe): (Tel. 01629 640346) a genuine friendly walkers’ café with stone floors, large mugs of tea or coffee and a good selection of food. A section of the café sells craft goods. Open Tuesday to Sunday from the end of March to the end of October. Reduced winter opening. Reduced winter opening.
Bull's Head: (Tel. 01629 812931) a fine old coaching inn with roses round the door and seats outside. Open for food at lunchtime every day and all evenings during the year apart from Thursday evenings in the winter
An outstanding walk starting from the pretty village of Ashford-in-the-Water. The route crosses open fields with fine views of the countryside as it gently climbs up to Monsal Head.
From where you get one of the best views in Derbyshire, of the Wye slowly winding its way down the dale between meadows and the steeply wooded side of the valley.
ASHFORD WELL DRESSINGS
On Trinity Sunday, Ashford celebrates the founding of the church. Following the service, there is a procession to bless the six wells that are dressed annually.
It was at Sheepwash Well that well dressing was revived in 1930, but it petered out again and it was not until over twenty years later that it became firmly established.
ASHFORD CRICKET CLUB
There has been a cricket club in the village since before 1841, and it is currently a member of the Yorkshire and Derbyshire Cricket League, where it holds Division 1 status. The club also plays mid week in the Longstone League and holds friendly matches on Sundays.
THE DISCOVER DERBYSHIRE AND THE PEAK DISTRICT GUIDE
Provides a wide range of features with heritage trails and detailed countryside walks, through some of the most scenically attractive countryside in the UK.
1. To return to the main site click the link below.
2. To return to the contents page of the main website click the link below.
All details on this page were correct at the time of publication, but changes may be made without notification.